Having celebrated a quarter-century of incredible indie-rock releases in 2019, Hamilton’s iconic independent record label Sonic Unyon Records looks to the future with new signings who will become part of the label's ongoing evolution.
Rich, sweet, and lush with vibrato. These are only a few of the unmistakable qualities that constitute Evangeline Gentle’s fervent timbre. Make no mistake, however: they are more than an accomplished voice. Born on the Northeast coast of Scotland, Evangeline's songwriting possesses authenticity and depth as rare and unique as their own journey. Queer, and passionate about social justice, Evangeline believes in the good-naturedness of people and our capabilities of growing together.
Produced by Jim Bryson at his Stittsvile studio Fixed Hinge, Evangeline’s debut album (available on vinyl March 20, 2020) makes for a powerful introduction to this Peterborough-based singer/songwriter. “Ordinary People” and “The Strongest People Have Tender Hearts” celebrate the strength it takes to stay soft in a world that can harden you with a single headline. “Drop My Name” champions the voice of someone no longer willing to be taken advantage of. “Sundays” is a sweet and honest exploration of insecurity in our romantic relationships. “Neither of Us” and “Long Time Love” are love songs for the modern world while “So It Goes” is a nostalgic retelling of teen summer love. “Even If” and “Digging My Grave” are less lighthearted tracks that share vulnerable truths about depression, drinking and recovering from self-sabotaging habits. “Good and Guided” is a hopeful closing song to this LP uniting listeners with the question “How do we become good and guided by the heart?”.
At only 23 years of age, Evangeline’s accolades are already accumulating at an impressive rate. Awarded Emerging Artist at the 2015 Peterborough Folk Fest, and Best Female Vocalist of the year at the 2015 Wire Awards, they have shared stages with artists such as Basia Bulat, Craig Cardiff, Matt Andersen, Terra Lightfoot, and Sam Weber.
Evangeline Gentle's self-titled debut album is available now on all streaming platforms. It arrives on vinyl March 20, 2020 via Sonic Unyon Records. Preorder it here.
- Dec 6, 2019 • Stittsville, ON • Quitters Coffee *
- Dec 7, 2019 • Hamilton, ON • New Vision United Church **
- Dec 21, 2019 • Toronto, ON • Burdock Music Hall
- Dec 22, 2019 • Wakefield, QC • The Blacksheep Inn *
- Jan 12, 2020 • Sackville, NB • Thunder and Lightning
- Jan 14, 2020 • Charlottetown, PE • Baba’s Lounge
- Jan 16, 2020 • Halifax, NS • The Carleton
- Jan 23, 2020 • Winnipeg, MB • X-Cues Billiards
- Jan 23, 2020 • Winnipeg, MB • West End Cultural Centre ***
- Feb 22, 2020 • Toronto, ON • The Dakota Tavern
* with Jim Bryson ** with Tim Baker *** with Coleman Hell